BA in Fine Arts, 1973 George Washington University, Washington, DC M.Arch., 1977, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pa.
- Received Ford Foundation grant for Desh Ki Awaaz, a collaborative arts project, 2004
- Received grant from the Charles Wallace Trust for research on Colonial Architecture at the India Office Library, London,1997
- Received grants from the Graham and Fulbright Foundations for research on mud architecture at the Aga Khan Program at Harvard University and MIT, 1992
- Received Ford Foundation Grant for a Documentation of Mud Architecture, 1986
- Awarded 1977 Louis Kahn Fellowship in Architecture, Univ. of Pennsylvania
- Awarded 1976 Dales Memorial Fellowship for Architectural Study in Europe
- Awarded First Place Lisner Gallery Art Exhibition, Washington, D.C.
- 2009 Winner National Architectural Competition for the Secretariat, Arunachal Pradesh
- 2007 Archi-Design Award for Country Inn, Corbett Park
- 2003 Hon. Mention Mahatma Gandhi National University, Wardha
- 2003 A+D National Award for Institutional Building
- 2003 A+D National Award for Housing
- 2003 A+D National Award for Hotels
- 2002 JK Architect of the Year Award for Monolith Resorts, Bhimtal
- 2001 Habitat Award, Visual Arts Gallery, Habitat Centre
- 1999 Inside Outside Designer of the Year Award for Devigarh Palace Hotel, Udaipur
- 1998 JK Architect of the Year Award for the Childrens Retreat, Delhi
- 1994 First Prize Architectural Competition for the CRY-Oxfam Headquarters
- 1987 First Prize Architectural Competition for Memorial to Mahatma Gandhi, Delhi
- 1986 Second Prize Architectural Competition for the Indira Gandhi Centre for Arts
- Guest Editor for Architecture + Design Monograph on the House in India, 1990
- Guest Editor for Shelter – A supplement to Inside Outside magazine, 1988
- Laurie Baker: Life, Work, and Writings, Viking, 1991
- Punjabi Baroque, Penguin, 1994
- Silent Spaces, Penguin, 1995
- Malaria Dreams, Penguin, 1996
- Punchtantra, Penguin, 1998
- A Short History of Everything, Harper Collins, 1998
- Eternal Stone, Edited, Penguin, 1999
- A Moment in Architecture, Tulika, 2002
- Comic Century, Penguin, 2004
- Whitewash, Viveka Foundation, 2007
- Lie, A Graphic Novel, Westland Press, 2010
- Desh Ki Awaaz, A Collaborative Arts Exhibit, Triveni Gallery, New Delhi, 2009
- Nature of the City, Group Show, Religare Gallery, New Delhi, 2008.
- Indian Art. Group Show, Thomas Erben Gallery, New York, 2006.
- Around Architecture. Group Show, Gallery SKE, Bangalore 2005.
- The Good Life? An Exhibition of Drawings, Academy of Fine Arts and Literature, January, 2004
- Borderless Terrain. Drawing Exhibition, Visual Arts Gallery, Habitat Centre, September 2002
- Looking Through Walls: Architecture in the Age of MacDonalds, An Exhibition of Drawings, Visual Arts Gallery, Habitat Centre, August 2001
- Unbuilt India: Curated exhibition on Unbuilt Projects, Vis-à-Vis Design Centre, Delhi 2001
- Shelter in India: A 2-year research project on Indian house types. Sponsored by HUDCO, 1986
- Traditional Architecture: A study of mud buildings. Sponsored by the Ford Foundation, 1985
- The Mud House: Indigenous buildings in the Developing World, London 1992.
- A Place to Live: Housing Practices Exhibition at Rabindra Bhavan, 1987. Sponsored by HUDCO